September 20, 2007

Politics Today

I honestly can say that I really don't have any idea about what is going on in the world today... In other words, politics really isn't my thing. I took "Writing for Mass Comm." last semester, and we had to read the newspaper every day, so I was caught up back then... However, as of right now I just don't have enough time. As selfish as this sounds, I have my own life to deal with, and I'm pretty busy! Anyway, the point of this entry is just to say that I really need to get more involved with politics, especially with this important upcoming election. I say I'm a democrat, but I really don't have any idea about what the different arguments are. All I know is that after this war and the fear that seems to grip our society today, a change is definitely necessary.
I actually met someone today, he was a customer at the restaurant where I work, and we got to chatting about politics. Being in D.C. and working in a restaurant in Dupont means that I run into a lot of political junkies. I was on my break, so I was wearing normal clothes -- a t-shirt, capris, and flip flops. This is important because he actually said to me "I can look at you and tell you're a liberal hippie -- the flip flops, the hair (it was in a ponytail..how this would identify me as a liberal hippy I'm still trying to figure out...), the bag you're carrying." I wanted to ask..what does that even mean? Is politics getting to be something that we can judge just by looking at someone? Personally, I can't just look at someone and decide that he or she associates with one party or the other. I wasn't offended, I was just confused! I don't even know exactly what I think about Democrats or Republicans! How can he?

Thanks,
Anna

No comments: