October 2, 2007

Our blog featured on NHK in Japan?




This past weekend I had an experience unique to any experience I have had before. Along with a group of fifty students from Georgetown, George Washington, and American University I took an eight hour bus ride to South Carolina to canvass for Senator Barack Obama's presidential campaign. South Carolina is an essencial state in the primaries. His success in the January 29th primary will largely determine whether or not he will be on the Democratic ticket.


Sleeping on a cold gymnasium floor and waking up at the crack of dawn on a Saturday morning were completely worthwhile when the weekend came to a close. From making phonecalls to holding up posters and chanting at intersections to going door to door talking about the candidate I support, it was an experience I will never forget.


On top of that, I was asked about our political blog by two television reporters from Japan. The men are working on a news piece about Senator Obama's campaign and are tying in the way politics are being covered in the United States. I was actually asked to be a part of their news story and was interviewed about how I try to involve myself in politics and our blog and was followed by the cameraman and reporter for the weekend. They were incredibly interested in the blog and it may be featured briefly on the Japanese news station NHK (Nippon Hoso Kyokai). Blogging and student activism were incredibly important to the story and they were incredibly interested in seeing how politics effects the American public.


Overall the trip was an absolutely amazing opportunity and I was fortunate to be a part of it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We need a link to NHK... We all want to see the piece (even if it is in Japanese)

bethechange said...

They haven't put the piece up as of yet, however the website may be viewed in English at:

http://www.nhk.or.jp/english/

They said they will be sending me the clip that is going to be on television on a DVD, so I will post it as soon as I receive it.